The April birthstone is diamonds. Lucky April babies! The rest of us are jealous. Diamonds are a true classic, but there are right ways and wrong ways to wear diamond jewelry for professional dress. Here are a few tips on how you can enhance your look whether the diamond is your birthstone or not.
- Diamonds and success go hand in hand. Well cared for, clean diamonds look expensive and luxurious. The key to wearing them in the office is to keep the bling to a minimum. Dripping in diamonds may send out a message that you’re too precious to get the job done. “Understated” is a good word to remember.
- Diamond studs are an easy go-to earring for any outfit. Many of my clients wear them when traveling for business in lieu of changing earrings each morning. It also makes for easier packing!
- A small to medium sized diamond pendant that sits inside the collar of a blouse is also a great choice. In this case, a bolder earring instead of studs will help draw attention to your face, (where you always want it for business.)
- Like diamond stud earrings, a tennis bracelet is also a great go-to piece for a professional look.
- Tasteful, diamond, right hand rings (like the one shown) along with your engagement/wedding rings are also quality classics for a corporate environment. One prominent ring per hand is best unless you’re in a luxury or highly creative industry.
- For less conservative or creative offices, consider layering pearls with a diamond necklace for a beautiful look that isn’t too ostentatious for professional dress.
Now that we’ve covered a few basic guidelines, here are a few fun facts from my good friend Kelle Graham, a fabulous jewelry designer from Rocky Mountain Jewelers. (Psst….Kelly designed this ring!)
- the hardest gem of all, 58 times harder than any thing else in nature.
- made of pure carbon with very few impurities. These impurities may determine color and quality of the diamond.
- the birthstone for April and the gemstone for 10th, 60th and 75th wedding anniversaries.
And according to folklore…
- Cupid’s irresistible arrows were dipped in diamonds.
- Romans believed diamonds were tears of the gods.
So if you’ve ever wondered whether diamonds are appropriate for professional dress, the answer is a resounding “yes!” For an understated, office appropriate image, mix your simple diamond jewelry with other classic pieces.
At Last, a complete resource with all the stores with sizes and proportions to fit your unique shape!
No matter what your body type, in this guide, you'll find more shops and sites than you ever knew existed... that cater to just your size, height and shape!