The April birthstone is diamonds. Lucky April babies! The rest of us are jealous. Diamonds are a true classic, but there are right ways and wrong ways to wear diamond jewelry for professional dress. Here are a few tips on how you can enhance your look whether the diamond is your birthstone or not.
- Diamonds and success go hand in hand. Well cared for, clean diamonds look expensive and luxurious. The key to wearing them in the office is to keep the bling to a minimum. Dripping in diamonds may send out a message that you’re too precious to get the job done. “Understated” is a good word to remember.
- Diamond studs are an easy go-to earring for any outfit. Many of my clients wear them when traveling for business in lieu of changing earrings each morning. It also makes for easier packing!
- A small to medium sized diamond pendant that sits inside the collar of a blouse is also a great choice. In this case, a bolder earring instead of studs will help draw attention to your face, (where you always want it for business.)
- Like diamond stud earrings, a tennis bracelet is also a great go-to piece for a professional look.
- Tasteful, diamond, right hand rings (like the one shown) along with your engagement/wedding rings are also quality classics for a corporate environment. One prominent ring per hand is best unless you’re in a luxury or highly creative industry.
- For less conservative or creative offices, consider layering pearls with a diamond necklace for a beautiful look that isn’t too ostentatious for professional dress.
Now that we’ve covered a few basic guidelines, here are a few fun facts from my good friend Kelle Graham, a fabulous jewelry designer from Rocky Mountain Jewelers. (Psst….Kelly designed this ring!)
- the hardest gem of all, 58 times harder than any thing else in nature.
- made of pure carbon with very few impurities. These impurities may determine color and quality of the diamond.
- the birthstone for April and the gemstone for 10th, 60th and 75th wedding anniversaries.
And according to folklore…
- Cupid’s irresistible arrows were dipped in diamonds.
- Romans believed diamonds were tears of the gods.
So if you’ve ever wondered whether diamonds are appropriate for professional dress, the answer is a resounding “yes!” For an understated, office appropriate image, mix your simple diamond jewelry with other classic pieces.