Whether your holiday plans include black-tie galas, dinners and cocktails with good friends, or intimate family gatherings, this time of the year provides us with a chance to look and feel more special in our clothes. In this e-Style tip, you will find all kinds of tips for holiday dressing, from all out glam to cozy and casual!
When your invitation reads, “black-tie,” it’s time to amp it up!
- Long formal gowns are common; however, cocktail dresses are acceptable also. Go for very dressy fabrics, such as taffeta, velvet, satin, and sequins.
- If your dress is simple, have fun with sequined or embellished shoes!
- Lace tights create an eye catching, slightly edgy look.
- Tired of solid colors? Try a printed dress, and then add sleek, sexy accessories.
- Don’t forget about a wrap. Your every day coat won’t do for a dressy affair. If you’re only dashing from the curb to the door, a pashmina or other dressy shawl may be enough. Otherwise, consider faux fur, satin or even a tough motorcycle jacket-if it’s your personal style!
Dinners, Parties and Cocktails
If your holiday plans include parties like your company party, cocktails, and dinner with friends, let this be your year to sparkle and shine.
- A black or jewel toned velvet jacket with your black pencil skirt is completely office appropriate. Change your jewelry and shoes, and you’re ready for after-work, holiday cocktails!
- Start building a holiday capsule of clothes with basic, but special pieces. Depending on your personal style, it might include a sequined tank top, a velvet skirt, tuxedo pants or even a satin jacket.
- Pair embellished pieces with basics. For example, a lace shell is perfect and easy with black slacks and a jacket.
- Mix your embellishments/fabrics. For an all out glamorous, holiday ensemble, pair a satin blouse with a sequined skirt or a lace* top with a velvet skirt. Avoid matching your embellished pieces. Wearing a sequined top with a sequined skirt might appear a little over-the-top. A velvet jacket with velvet slacks can seem outdated.
*Lace is a huge trend this year. Look for dresses, separates, and accessories. Remember, one lace piece per outfit, please.
Cozy and Casual
When your calendar is filled with neighborhood open houses, tree-trimming parties or dinners in the mountains, follow these tips to be festive yet cozy.
- For a casual yet festive look, pair dark denim with a dressy top. For example, try a sequined tank or sexy top with dark wash, flared or skinny jeans. To keep warm, top the outfit with a boyfriend sweater or tuxedo jacket.
- A luxurious cashmere tunic sweater paired with plush skinny corduroys or velvet pants is just right, not to mention comfortable, for family and neighborhood gatherings. Don’t forget to accessorize. Why not try an animal print belt or booties?
- For a caroling or tree trimming party, leggings and a jewel toned tunic sweater would be both cozy and comfy. If you already live in leggings, look for a pair that’s a little different, perhaps leather trimmed.
Our society has become so casual that dressing up a little for the holidays is truly special. Whether your occasions are black-tie, business, cocktail or casual, following these tips and dressing the part can help you feel great and make your memories sparkle just a little brighter!
Before You Go…
At Last, a complete resource with all the stores with sizes and proportions to fit your unique shape!
No matter what your body type, in this guide, you'll find more shops and sites than you ever knew existed... that cater to just your size, height and shape!