After being in the shadows of slim leg and skinny pants for several years, wide leg pants are back in fashion with a vengeance for fall 2016!
Here are just a few reasons you should be happy wide legged pants are finally in style again:
- Wide legged pants balance your figure if you have a large bust or wide shoulders.
- They provide a little extra room in the thighs for your athletic legs or pear shaped figure.
- And best of all…wide legged and flared pants can make your legs look a mile long!
Another reason to love the wide legged pant trend is that it’s perfect for business casual. When you choose a pair that isn’t overly baggy or wide in a dressy fabric, it makes for a great basic that isn’t overly trendy.
A key to making these pants work is to keep things somewhat slim up top…wide and flowy over wide and flowy isn’t a flattering look for anyone (even though the fashion world is trying to convince us we need these new proportions.)
Need some styling ideas? Try these tops on for size:
- A peplum top that defines your waist and makes you legs look even longer.
- A beautiful tailored, button-up blouse tucked in with an interesting belt brings attention to your tiny waist.
- A boxy cropped top/sweater with high waisted pants. (If you’re over 13, you want the sweater to cover waistband of the pants-no sliver of tummy, please.)
- A hip length knit top/sweater worn on the outside of your pants lengthens a short waist.
- A waist length bomber jacket or leather motorcycle style jacket.
Now that you know why wide legged pants are so fab and you know a few ways to style them, here are just a few more things to consider when purchasing.
Unless you’re tall with long legs, wide legged pants are most flattering worn with heels! Try a cute pump or ankle bootie to finish off your easy fall look. Be sure to choose your shoes and have pants hemmed no more than ½ inch off the floor. If the pants are really wide at the hemline, you can hem them just a bit shorter for safety’s sake. (I had some palazzo pants in the ‘90’s and tripped on them a few times!)
Be diligent about fit! If your legs are slim, you may still need to have the upper portion of the pant leg taken in, so you’re not drowning in fabric. Women with average to full thighs may need to go up a size for the best look; you want a little ease in the style.
While slim leg pants aren’t going anywhere, follow these tips and have fun with this fresh style in your closet